CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT – COURTYARD – PART TIME
Location: The Courtyard of Natchitoches
JOB TITLE: Certified Nursing Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Courtyard of Natchitoches
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to RN/LPN
ORIGINAL DATE: December 7, 2018
REVISED DATE: January 11, 2022
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SALARY GRADE: 5 JOB CODE: 145
Provides direct and indirect resident care activities under the direction of an RN or LPN. Assists residents with activities of daily living, provides for personal care, comfort and assists in the maintenance of a safe and clean environment for an assigned group or residents. Ability to interact with all customers (co-workers, patients, families, physicians, vendors, etc.) of Courtyard with hospitality and the highest standards of customer service, exhibiting professionalism and a spirit of teamwork. Each associate should have an understanding that he or she represents Courtyard and should act accordingly and in a manner that demonstrates respect and pride for this organization.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
- Assists in the preparation for admission of residents.
- Assists in and accompanies residents in the admission, transfer and discharge procedures.
- Provides morning care, which may include bed bath, shower or whirlpool, oral hygiene, combing hair, back care, dressing residents, changing bed linen, cleaning over bed table and bedside stand, straightening room and other general care as necessary throughout the day.
- Provides evening care which includes hands/face washing as needed, oral hygiene, back rubs, peri-care, freshening linen, cleaning over bed tables, straightening room and other general care as needed.
- Assists RN in treatment procedures.
- Provides general aide care such as positioning residents, lifting and turning residents, applying/utilizing special equipment, assisting in use of bedpan or commode and ambulating the residents.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, blood pressure and intake/output.
- Adheres to policies and procedures of the facility.
- Participates in socialization activities on the unit.
- Turns and positions residents as ordered and/or as needed, making sure no rough surfaces are in direct contact with the body. Lifts and turns with proper and safe body mechanics and with available resources.
- Checks for reddened areas or skin breakdown and reports to RN or LPN.
- Ensures residents are dressed properly and assists, as necessary. Ensures that used clothing is properly stored in bedside stand or on hangers in closet. Ensures that all residents are clean and dry at all times.
- Checks unit for adequate linen. Folds neatly and arranges linen in linen closet. Cleans linen cart. Provides clean linen and clothing. Makes beds.
- Treats residents and their families with respect and dignity.
- Restrains residents properly, when ordered.
- Accompanies residents to appointments, as directed.
- Provides reality orientation in daily care.
- Prepares residents for meals; serves and removes food trays and assists with meals or feeds residents, if necessary.
- Distributes drinking water and other nourishments to residents.
- Performs general care activities for residents in isolation.
- Answers residents’ call lights, anticipates residents’ needs and makes rounds to assigned residents.
- Assists residents with handling and care of clothing and other personal property (including dentures, glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids and prosthetic devices)
- Transports residents to and from various departments, as requested.
- Reports and, when appropriate, records any changes observed in condition or behavior of residents and unusual incidents.
- Participates in and contributes to interdisciplinary care conferences.
- Must be able to follow directions, both oral and written, and work cooperatively with other staff members.
- Must have the ability to acquire knowledge of and develop skills in basic nursing procedures and simple charting.
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationship with residents, family members and other facility personnel while assuring confidentiality of resident information.
- Attends inservice education programs, as assigned, to learn new treatments, procedures, developmental skills, etc.
- Maintains personal health in order to prevent absence from work due to health problems.
- Possesses a genuine interest and concern for geriatric and disabled persons.
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
Required Education and Experience
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Current Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification in the State of Louisiana for Long Term Care Facilities.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support certification within three (3) months of hire date.
- Physical Conditions: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical requirements of this position are as determined by the WorkSteps® program. Successful completion of WorkSteps® evaluation (as well as drug screen and physical) is required for employment in this position at NRMC.
- Work is performed indoors in an air-conditioned environment.
- Fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situation.
- Potential exposure to radiation on a daily basis, which is minimized by protective equipment.
- Occasional exposure to odors.
- Possibility of exposure to body fluids, blood borne pathogens, and communicable diseases from either airborne or contact transmission, sometimes making it necessary that appropriate Personal Protective Equipment be worn.
It is the policy of NRMC] to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. This policy relates to all phases of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, employment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, reduction of workforce and termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, selection for training, the use of all facilities, and participation in all company-sponsored employee activities. Provisions in applicable laws providing for bona fide occupational qualifications, business necessity or age limitations will be adhered to by the company where appropriate.
As part of the company’s equal employment opportunity policy, NRMC will also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
Employees and applicants shall not be subjected to harassment, intimidation or any type of retaliation because they have (1) filed a complaint; (2) assisted or participated in an investigation, compliance review, hearing or any other activity related to the administration of any federal, state or local law requiring equal employment opportunity; (3) opposed any act or practice made unlawful by any federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity; or (4) exercised any other legal right protected by federal, state or local law requiring equal opportunity.
The above-mentioned policies shall be periodically brought to the attention of supervisors and shall be appropriately administered. It is the responsibility of each supervisor of the company to ensure affirmative implementation of these policies to avoid any discrimination in employment. All employees are expected to recognize these policies and cooperate with their implementation. Violation of these policies is a disciplinary offense.
The Affirmative Action Officer has been assigned to direct the establishment and monitor the implementation of personnel procedures to guide our affirmative action program throughout NRMC. A notice explaining the company’s policy will remain posted.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
I Certify that these are the official duties and responsibilities of this position:
Signature of Manager Date
I Certify that I understand that these are the duties and responsibilities assigned to me:
Signature of Associate Date