A baby’s birth certificate is their first official document.
Natchitoches Regional Medical Center’s Health Information Management Department assists parents by completing the application for their newborn’s birth certificate.
While in the hospital, parents are contacted by an associate who gathers required information for the birth certificate. Parents also receive a packet in a large purple envelope to take home of important information about their baby’s birth certificate and Social Security number.
Health Information Management Department 318-214-4200, ext. 4712
- How To Obtain A Certified Copy Of A Louisiana Birth Certificate
A birth certificate is a certified copy of a birth record that provides legal proof of a birth registered with the State of Louisiana.
Birth certificates are available at at the Natchitoches Parish Courthouse, Clerk of Court, 200 Church Street, Rm 104 or Louisiana Vital Records throughout the state. There is a charge for each copy. Please contact Louisiana Vital Records Registry for more information.
The Louisiana Vital Records Registry in New Orleans will mail you a complimentary certified copy of your baby’s birth certificate. It can take six to 10 months to receive this copy.
To check on the status of your birth certificate, please contact the Louisiana Vital Records or call 1-504-593-5100. If they are unable to answer questions regarding your certificate, contact Natchitoches Regional Medical Center at 318-214-4200, ext. 4712.
- How To Obtain A Copy By Mail
To get a birth certificate by mail, complete an Application for Certified Copy of Birth/Death Certificate form on the Louisiana Vital Records website and send it to:
Vital Records Registry
P.O. Box 60630
New Orleans, LA 70160
If you don’t have a form, send a letter to the Vital Records Registry in New Orleans at the address above with the following information:
- Your full name and mailing address (include apartment number and/or lot number, as appropriate)
- A telephone number where you may be reached during the day
- Your relationship to the child
- A personal check or money order payable to the Vital Records Registry
- The full name of the child at birth
- The date of birth
- The sex of the child
- The city and parish of birth
- The full maiden name of the mother
- The name of the father
- The number of certified copies you are ordering
Allow approximately three weeks for delivery.
For additional information, please visit the Louisiana Vital Records.
- How To Change A Louisiana Birth Certificate
If you need to make a correction on the birth certificate (i.e. incorrect date or time of birth, misspelled name, etc.), contact Natchitoches Regional Medical Center at 318-214-4200, ext. 4712.
If you would like to make a change to the birth certificate (i.e. adding the father’s name, changing the baby’s name), contact Louisiana Vital Records or call 1-504-593-5100.
There may be a fee to make changes.
- Birth Verification (Proof of Birth)
A birth verification is a letter that states whether or not a birth was registered with the State of Louisiana. If you need proof of birth to receive your child’s birth certificate, the Health Information Management department can prepare a birth verification for you. This document contains the baby’s name, date and time of birth, place of birth and parents’ names. Every new parent is provided a complimentary letter in the large purple envelope that is provided to new parents by the Health Information Services Department Birth Certificate Associate.
To receive a duplicate birth verification, contact the Natchitoches Regional Medical Center’s Birth Certificate Department at 318-214-4200, ext. 4712. It can be picked up in the Health Information Management Department, Monday through Thursday between 8:00 AM-4:00 PM and Friday’s between 8:00-12:00.
Birth verifications can be obtained:
- In person by one of the baby’s parents, if he or she is listed on the birth certificate and has a picture ID.
- By mail to the address listed on the birth certificate.
If someone other than the parents is picking up the birth verification:
- One of the parents must either obtain or have an authorization form faxed to them from the Health Information Management Department.
- The form must be completed and signed by a parent listed on the birth certificate.
- The completed form must be either carried or faxed back to Natchitoches Regional Medical Center’s Birth Certificate Department at 318-214-4291.
- The person picking up the birth verification must present a picture ID.
- Your Child's Social Security Number
It typically takes two to four months to receive your child’s social security number if you apply for it on your child’s birth certificate request form. If you need a social security number sooner, you may apply in person at the Social Security Administration’s offices. A Verification Form that the Social Security has been applied for is in the large purple envelope you receive from the hospital after completion of the birth certificate forms.
The Natchitoches office is located at:
950 Keyser Avenue
Natchitoches, LA 71457
Please call them in advance to find out what documents will be needed when you apply. You may also visit the Social Security Administration for additional information.