PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (CphT)
Job Type: Full-time
Location: NRMC Cancer Center
Department: NRMC Cancer Center
*IV Compounding experience required.
Pharmacy technicians assist and support licensed pharmacists in providing health care and medications to patients. Pharmacy technicians must have a broad knowledge of pharmacy practice, and be skilled in the techniques required to order, stock, package, and compound and otherwise prepare medications. Maintains a professional presence throughout the hospital. Assures pharmacy services and activities are carried out to meet goals and standards of both Cardinal Health and the client/hospital.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
1. Procures and distributes medication orders per physician request, pharmacist request, or prearranged work assignment according to established policies, procedures, and protocols
2. Fills prescriptions, physician orders, medication kits and carts, stock requisitions and automated dispensing system accurately and in a timely manner
3. Assist in the process for patient and department charges, and that they are accurately and timely completed.
4. Assist with the purchase of drugs and supplies in accordance with best demonstrated practices to provide medications in a safe, efficacious, and cost effective manner.
5. Assist with the preparation and delivery of medication throughout the hospital and to patients both in the retail pharmacy and through the meds-to-beds program.
6. Maintains compliance with USP 795/797/800 non-sterile and sterile preparation standards
7. Assist with hospital and pharmacy personnel orientation for new hires
8. Ensure documentation for all drug recalls, participates in inspections of drug storage areas, upholds pharmacy standards and best practices, and maintains security of all drug storage areas and confidentiality of passwords.
9. Attends and participates in departmental meetings, in-services, and quality improvement programs
10. Maintains all required training and education per department requirements (e.g. mySpark, myLearning, Care Learning, Continuing Education)
11. Adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Complies with all requirements related to risk management, safety, security, fire, and infection control. Complies with all applicable state, local and federal regulations
12. Maintains safety-integrity-professionalism of pharmacy at all times
13. Answers the telephone, identifying self and department; directs calls to appropriate personnel
14. Keeps pharmacy areas clean, neat, and well organized; Keeps pharmacy equipment clean
15. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
16. Assures confidentiality of patient records.
17. Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
18. Assists in the resolution of problems or concerns while being a supportive team member.
1. Effective interpersonal skills
2. Ability to prioritize
3. Stress Management skills
No Supervisory responsibility.
Required Education and Experience
1. High school degree or equivalent
2. Current technician certification and required licensing
Preferred Education and Experience
1. Previous experience as a pharmacy technician
2. ACPE or ASHP accredited course in compounding sterile preparations preferred
Training and proficiency in age specific therapies for hospital patients preferred.