Job Type: Part-time
Location: NRMC Multispecialty Clinic
Department: NRMC RETAIL PHARMACY
Staff pharmacists process orders for parenteral and enteral medications, monitor patient drug therapies, and provide drug information. Staff pharmacists supervise and direct support personnel. In the absence of the pharmacy manager, a staff pharmacist may be required to assume the essential responsibilities and perform the duties of the pharmacy manager.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
1. Prepares and dispenses medication orders per physician request according to established policies, procedures, and protocols.
2. Interprets medication orders (verbal and written) and transcribes to computerized patient medication profiles accurately. Maintains accurate, complete patient medication profiles.
3. Compounds and dispenses pharmaceuticals, including sterile, chemotherapy, and parenteral nutrition products accurately.
4. Issues controlled substances to patient care areas and maintains records as required by law.
5. Ensures safe, appropriate, cost effective medication therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures, and protocols.
6. Monitors drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies, and appropriateness of drug and dose.
7. Assists with pharmacokinetics consult service and drug dosing per organizational protocol.
8. Reviews/interprets culture and susceptibility data for antibiotic appropriateness and recommends changes, as needed.
9. Reads, extracts, and interprets information in patient charts accurately.
10. Detects and reports suspected adverse drug reactions accurately and in a timely manner.
11. Sustains the formulary by minimizing non-formulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic substitution protocols, and promoting rational drug therapy selection.
12. Provides clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners. Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff, as needed.
13. Provides accurate, adequate, and timely drug information to the professional staff.
14. Provides drug information to patients and their families.
15. Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely.
16. Participates in the quality improvement and medication use review activities of the department. Collects data; conducts quality monitors and inspections; and maintains logs, records, and other documentation as assigned.
17. Participates in the development and presentation of orientation, education, and training programs to the pharmacy, medical, nursing, and other staffs.
18. Maintains current pharmacist licensure.
19. Attends pharmacy staff meetings.
20. Attends orientation, education, and training programs. Reviews literature and other materials pertinent to the practice of pharmacy.
21. Work independently to function Informatics Pharmacist accountable for organizing and completing the validation of changes to the pharmacy modules, including integrated testing, training, functional support, auditing modifications /implementations, and documentation.
22. Work in collaboration with physician, pharmacy, nurse leadership/champions and other health informatics teams in a positive, constructive and efficient manner.
23. Monitor billing accuracy, compliance issues, and structure: ensure data integrity through interaction with financial and outcomes systems and auditing verification; assists in investigating and responding to billing audits.
24. Build and maintenance of order sets, drug/mixture build in accordance build guidelines and standards.
25. Provides education to pharmacy staff in regards to new hire training, new workflows, workflow changes, etc. through in-class training, tip sheets, pharmacy newsletters, etc.
26. Performs any special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Technical capacity
- Collaboration skills
- Customer/client focus
- Problem solving/analysis
- Time management
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to prioritize multiple job tasks in a fast-paced environment
1. Supervises and directs pharmacy support personnel.
2. Verifies the daily activities of pharmacy technicians.
3. Participates in the performance appraisal of pharmacy support personnel.
4. Organizes and prioritizes work assignments.
5. Ensures pharmacy services are provided in a timely manner.
Required Education and Experience
1. A graduate of an accredited School of Pharmacy and licensed as a registered pharmacist by the Louisiana State Board of Pharmacy.
2. Work experience with pharmacy information systems required.
3. Currently licensed to practice pharmacy in the state of Louisiana.
4. Ability to function as an inpatient staff pharmacists required
Preferred Education and Experience
1. Health system experience preferred.
2. Meditech experience preferred.
3. Monitoring billing accuracy, compliance issues, and structure preferred.
4. Experience building/maintaining pump libraries preferred.