MEDICAL ASSISTANT – FLOAT (PRN)
Job Type: Full-time
Location: NRMC Multispecialty Clinic
Department: CLINICAL ADMINISTRATION
As a Medical Assistant, provides direct and indirect patient care in the medical office setting demonstrating clinical education and competence in direct patient care as per scope of practice and competency. Meets the communication needs of the patient family, departmental staff and medical staff for the clinic; Prepares and compiles records for the Office as directed; Initiates directions from physician and nursing staff; Participates in performance improvement activities; Maintains regulatory agency requirements, clinic policies and procedures and standards.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
1. Takes patient history and records in chart. Records current medications and drug allergies.
2. Ascertains that exam rooms are cleaned and scales balanced.
3. Checks treatment rooms for necessary supplies and replenishes daily.
4. Completes appropriate forms for patient (and gives out appropriate literature).
5. Takes weight, height and vital signs on all patients.
6. Prepares patients, physically and psychologically for treatment and diagnostic tests or studies done in office or elsewhere:
a. Takes care of some referrals to other doctors or for durable medical equipment.
b. Schedules test as ordered by the provider.
c. Gives patient instructions regarding medications or supplies.
7. Takes appropriate action in emergency situations.
8. Puts away supplies that have come in and notes anything that must be ordered.
9. Returns calls to patients needing advice and/or information.
10. Performs Clia-waived lab procedures after collecting specimens.
11. Sets up supplies for procedures as needed.
12. Adheres to clinic HIPAA policy.
13. Retrieves and records patient activity for each client visit to prepare for proper billing information.
14. Obtain client payments, verify patient eligibility and record all pertinent insurance information.
15. Cordially greet and receive clients, ascertain their needs and appropriately direct visitors and callers.
16. Perform a variety of receptionist duties to include clerical and electronic filing to help maintain efficient operations.
17. Provide appropriate answers of numerous phone calls, or direct the caller the proper place.
18. Attends staff meetings and in-services; Participates in emergency and disaster situations; participates in performance improvement as assigned; performs miscellaneous duties as deemed appropriate and when assigned by supervisor.
19. Schedules and confirms appointments, verifies insurance, collects payments.
20. Scan all mail, patient registration, etc. into EMR on a daily basis.
21. Retrieves mail daily from NRMC.
22. Transports labs.
1. Basic computer knowledge.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology.
3. Knowledge of obtaining vital signs, collection of specimens.
4. Knowledge of other assigned duties related to safe quality patient care within scope of practice.
5. Excellent customer service skills.
6. Strong organizational and time management skills.
7. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
8. Ability to use appropriate discretion in handling confidential material and information.
Required Education and Experience
1. High school graduate or equivalent.
2. Current BCLS certification or must be obtained within 6 months of employment.