LICENESED PRACTICAL NURSE
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Natchitoches Regional Medical Center
Department: REGIONAL CARDIOLOGY
Responsible for and performs those duties consistent with the recognized scope of practice for Licensed Practical Nursing. Assists and directs in the care of Regional Cardiology Clinic patients. May provide direct supervision of patient care given by unlicensed Nursing and Medical Assistants and Patient Care Techs. Provides Health Information to Insurance providers to support authorization of medications and procedures. Applies Holter & Event Monitors, performs and processes EKG data. Communicates with physician and team members about changes in patient’s clinical condition, including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology. Performs additional administrative tasks related to patient medical record maintenance and continuity of care. Performs other tasks as assigned.
1. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
2. Insures patient examination rooms are ready for daily activity.
3. Consults other departments, as appropriate, to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
4. Able to perform EKGs according to procedure and monito for abnormal patterns.
5. Performs CLIA waived lab procedures.
6. Enters orders into Meditech.
7. Takes and records patient vital signs. Assists with patient assessment, intervention and patient teaching within the scope of LPN practice.
8. Sets up patient in examination room.
9. Records patients presenting problem/reason for visit. Record current medications and allergies.
10. Assists with patient examination or procedure, as needed.
11. Attaches electrodes of Holter or Event Monitor to patient to record data over extended periods of time.
12. Provides patient medications, oral and injectable, as ordered by the Physician within the scope of LPN practice.
13. Cleans and restocks patient examination rooms between patient uses, as needed.
14. Assists with patient calls, prescription refills, notification of lab/test results, and scheduling of referral patients.
15. Maintains adequate supplies for tests and clinic.
16. Meets current documentation standards and polices.
17. Response to the patient is appropriate in emergency or physically distressful situation.
18. Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments of the hospital.
19. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
20. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Reports all malfunctions.
1. Ability to read, write, speak, and communicate effectively in English.
2. Additional languages preferred.
3. Basic computer knowledge.
4. Ability to use appropriate discretion in handling confidential material and information.
5. Must be IV certified and willing to perform related tasks.
6. Treats patients and families with respect and dignity.
1. Adheres to dress code, wears identification, appearance is neat and clean.
2. Reports to work on time and as scheduled. If unable to attend work for shift, calls supervisor 2 hours before expected attendance.
3. Uses time clock properly.
4. Maintains standards of behavior.
Required Education and Experience
1. Graduate of an accredited LPN program.
2. Current LPN licensure in the State of Louisiana.
3. Current BCLS certification.
4. Minimum of six months to one year’s work experience preferred.