ER ADMITTING CLERK
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Natchitoches Regional Medical Center
Department: ADMIT DEPARTMENT
The ER Admit Clerk compiles and reviews with patient/significant other/family member/responsible party their personal information, insurance, and financial obligations as required for outpatient and inpatient registrations; enter information into the system accurately and generate required paperwork; safeguard the confidentiality of all patient information; works closely with the ED nurses, doctors, staff and well as other departments within NRMC; implements NRMC Hospital policies on every encounter.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
1. Greets patients, assists patient as necessary, (i.e. wheelchair/pail/mask/transport from vehicle etc.).
2. Enters patient’s data and complaint (s) for visit in computer.
3. Prints patient documentation needed for visit
4. Verifies patient date of birth and places armband on patient’s wrist.
5. Hands off patient quick registration form to nursing staff.
6. Secures an open room from nursing staff.
7. Escorts patient to assigned room.
8. Reviews and verifies patient initial information that is already in the system (ID card/insurance card).
9. Checks benefits through all electronic avenues.
10. Explains NRMC hospital & ED policy and procedures.
11. Interviews patient/significant other/family member/responsible party to obtain all relevant demographic and insurance data.
12. Scans all documentation in patient’s electronic account.
13. Upon completion of ED Admit, provides copy of all signed documents, NRMC Privacy Practices, Patient Rights & Responsibilities and Patient Portal.
14. Explains any and/or all financial obligations to patient.
15. Requests appropriate deposit, co-payment, and/or deductible payments.
16. Posts payment transactions into the system appropriately.
17. Balances and closes all journals (written & computerized).
18. Places collections in secure, locked box.
19. Serves as an information resource for patients/doctors/nurses/ and other health care professionals.
20. Answers and handles phone calls, transfer to appropriate department.
21. Process outpatient/inpatient admissions for ED and other NRMC departments (i.e. OB/NB/Lab/SDS etc.).
22. Updates and generates inpatient paperwork for room and/or unit transfers.
23. Makes corrections as necessary.
24. Attends & participates with ED & NRMC meetings.
25. Other duties as assigned/required by supervisor, manager and/or director.
26. May float to other departments as necessary.
1. Computer/basic keyboard, telephone and general knowledge of office machines including printers, fax, copier, scanner and credit card machines.
2. Knowledge of hospital policy and procedures related to emergency services and patient admitting.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology and abbreviations.
4. Must be able to follow detailed instructions and perform repetitious tasks.
5. Excellent communication, organization and customer service skills.
6. Ability to enter data accurately.
7. Ability to work cooperatively with peers to contribute to the overall productivity of the team.
8. Ability to communicate effectively with people of all levels of education and variety of conditions.
9. Ability to use appropriate discretion in handling confidential material and information.
10. Ability to perform duties under intense and stressful situations most of the time.
Required Education and Experience
1. High School diploma or Equivalent required.
2. One year experience of clerical, customer service, public relations or social services work required.
Preferred Education and Experience
1. Previous work experience in hospital or other medical environment preferred
2. Substitution: a college degree in Social Services field may be substituted for all qualifications