Job Type: Full-time
Location: Natchitoches Regional Medical Center
Department: ADMIT DEPARTMENT
The Admitting Department Clerk arranges for the efficient and orderly admission of inpatients and admission of individuals who have hospital based outpatient testing or procedures. This clerk ensures that patient and financial information is collected and that patients are aware of hospital policies and procedures. The person in this position interviews incoming patient or their representative and enters information required for admission into computer database. This clerk also distributes appropriate information to ancillary departments.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary responsibilities.
1. Pre-registers patients for scheduled admissions and outpatient procedures.
2. Obtains authorization and verifies insurance eligibility.
3. For unscheduled admissions, interviews patients or their representative to obtain personal information.
4. Obtains signatures on Conditions of Admission and initiates the Advance Directive process.
5. Provides information to the patient/representative about billing, complaint process, patient rights, and visiting hours, and distributes hospital specific literature.
6. Refers patient to financial counselor when financial arrangements need to be made.
7. Gathers consent for treatment.
8. Arranges for transport of patient to the required area.
9. Verifies accuracy of forms and obtains corrected information from patient/representative.
10. Uses screening process to determine financial aid eligibility and determines correct forms to be used.
11. Makes copies of required documents and delivers paperwork throughout the hospital.
12. Communicates appropriate information as necessary to the supervisor, nurse managers, coworkers, and physician.
13. Records any co-payments collected and forwards to the cashier.
14. Acts as liaison between the medical staff or nursing staff and incoming patients and their relatives.
15. Corrects computer records as necessary.
16. Participates in safety instructional programs.
17. Studies as necessary to stay up-to-date on hospital policies and services.
18. Loads computer and printer paper as needed.
19. Maneuvers mail carts as necessary.
20. Attends staff meetings as required.
21. Participates in emergency disaster situations.
22. Performs miscellaneous duties as deemed appropriate and when assigned by supervisor.
1. Ability to exercise phone etiquette.
2. Knowledge of basic computer programs.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology.
4. Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate effectively in English.
5. Basic computer knowledge.
6. Ability to use appropriate discretion in handling confidential material and information.
7. Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate effectively in English.
8. Knowledge of basic computer operation.
9. Ability to type 35 wpm.
10. Ability to stay organized, be flexible, and function efficiently under stressful conditions.
11. Ability to use appropriate discretion in handling confidential information and materials.
12. Ability to treat patients and families with respect and dignity and provide explanations and verbal reassurance as necessary.
13. Ability to maintain good working relationship with coworkers within the department and in other departments.
14. Ability to utilize interviewing techniques for gathering information.
15. Ability to perform efficiently in a fast-paced work environment.
Required Education and Experience
1. High School graduate or equivalent.
2. Two years clerical experience required.
Preferred Education and Experience
1. Hospital or medical environment experience preferred.